Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bruschetta

I fell in love with this at Macaroni Grill and had to try and make it myself. It's basically garlic toast topped with fresh Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, and basil.

1 Baguette; I prefer a slender, good fresh loaf so it's more appetizer size and tastes best.
1 fresh garlic clove (highly optionaly; I prefer the toast without it.)
Fresh Parmesan cheese, not from the sprinkle can, super thin slices are best and shredded works.
3 or 4 small or 2 or 3 large good fresh tomatoes
About 2-3 Tbsp more or less of Fresh basil or about 1 Tbps dried basil if fresh is expensive or out of season
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt to taste

Dice tomatoes. Toss with the basil, a light drizzle of olive oil, and salt to taste.

Slice the baguette to about 1/2 in thickness. Lay them on a baking sheet. Broil on highest rack in oven (just below heat source) till toasted golden. No need to preheat oven much.

Optional: Peel the garlic and rub each slice of toast with the clove. One clove will go a long way and you don't want to rub too much or else the toast will actually burn your mouth!

Top all the toast with a layer of Parmesan. Top with tomato mixture just before serving so the toast doesn't get soggy. If serving this at a party, I like to display the bread covered in Parmesan surrounding a bowl of the tomato mixture on a platter. That way people can top the tomatoes themselves and the toast doesn't get soggy.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear Sarah,
Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it. I have a HUGE basil plant in my garden and would love to get some to you. Let me know if Jaeson is coming this way or another way to get it to you.

We had such a nice time tonight. We are so proud of you guys and the way you are raising your darling boys. I am serious about a date night! Let me know.
Love, Aunt Mel

ps I checked out a few blogs. They are great!

Navigating

Click on the “labels” to the right of here on the sidebar to view recipes by category.